Flash Title 80 pixel

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

How do I get through my Transitioning Stage?


Calandria Knox

Calandria Knox, Editor-in-ChiefHello Curlies-to-Be! I know it may seem that either all the Bloggers and YouTubers already have all the answers, or that nothing they are doing seems to be working for you, or that no one has your texture or are anywhere near the same Transitioning stage as you are. Frustrating, I know! I've been there - twice! 
It is great that you have decided to be serious enough about your journey to research, but, I don't want you to become so overwhelmed that you give up before the fun starts. I want you to know that the issues you are having are very real and very common, and that you are not alone. The tangles, the itchy scalp, battling multiple textures, your unruly edges - these are all things Curlies went through during their transitioning stage. We just don't like to talk about it ... but I am not too far removed, so I will. So, let's start with what I feel is one of the most important topics: Care. If your tresses have been relaxed or chemically altered for the majority of your life, then you may not know what products actually work for your natural hair. Wikipedia actually refers to the act of relaxing your hair as a "process of controlled damage to the hairs protein structure". Black hair is elliptical in shape, thus our different curl patterns. So, in essence, your relaxer has weakened the protective outer layer of your hair in order to change its shape. But enough, about the “old you”…
I know everywhere you look Curlies are ditching shampoo, and you are thinking that we have lost our minds. Well, we haven't. One of the reasons your two textures are dry and brittle may be for the overuse of shampoos and harsh products that were fine for relaxed hair, but too strong for your natural hair. And the fire brewing in your scalp is just lack of moisture. (I will go into depth later this week about moisturizing your hair and scalp and why Curlies are ditching Shampoos - for the sake of this article, please trust us. We are not crazy.) But, for now, I want to introduce you to the co-wash. (And the heavens will open.) Ditch the shampoos as they are stripping all the essential oils from your hair and scalp and try to find a natural, not too heavy conditioner full of essential oils. I am currently in love with Tresemme Naturals. It is not heavy, my curls love it, and it gives me just enough slip to finger comb in the shower. The shower will be your best friend when it comes to your journey. Water is the best moisture your hair will ever receive. The shower will also allow you the space and time to detangle and sometimes style without the fuss or mess. And depending on the rate or your hair growth, you may want to add more protective styles to your Transitioning Journal.
I mentioned earlier that I had transitioned twice. The first time I figured I would use heat to blend my two textures and gradually clip off the relaxed ends over time and not notice the change. -WRONG!! My edges were fried and I had to wear sewins for months just to have enough healthy hair to cut into a cute pixie. So if you have started, please cut out the heat. The second time I actually gave away my flat irons and curlers to completely alleviate temptation. I hated myself some mornings, but I was forced to research and invest in protective styles. My journey was so much better this time and when I finally built enough courage to Big Chop my hair way healthy and immediately took its natural curl pattern.  Make sure your protective styles aren’t too rough on your edges, and always be conscious of both textures. Although you are striving toward a single goal you are working with two different mediums. Don’t spend so much time on your new found waves and curls that you neglect your old faithful relaxed tresses. Keep your ends sealed trimmed and moisturized; try to fight the temptation of using alcohol based products like setting lotions and aerosol oil sheens as they are drying to your scalp and hair. Be patient, love your texture, and be attentive. Happy Transitioning! 

No comments:

Post a Comment