Flash Title 80 pixel

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

7 Steps To Transitioning: Stage One In Your Journey





 Step 1.
Keep Hair Clean

transitionsmagazine.blogspot.comThis is the toughest part of your Transitions stage. You will have to change your mindset from that of a "relaxer". What worked for you then, will almost definitely not work for you now. In the first few months, after your decision, take the time to get to know your hair. The time you spend now will be detrimental to the ease of the rest of your stages. Knowing what things your hair does and does not like early on will take the hassle out of figuring it out as you go. A clean scalp and healthy tresses will make this journey a little easier too. If you are not quite ready to ditch your shampoo, alternate washes between shampoo and cowashing. But do remember to read your ingredients. I am not an ingredient junkie, but if I can't pronounce the first 5 or so then it will definitely not go home with me. This is the best time to create "your" regimen,  that works for "you". I always tell people to buy sample products before they spend any money on "the next best thing", and then get home and hate it. Ask your LBS, most will keep them behind the counters.

 
Step 2.
Protective Style

One of the best ways to keep your hair healthy, and you sane, are protective styles. This is especially true now. I transitioned for a year and not too many people knew. My best friend - the sewin not only kept my hair protected from any urge to use heat, but also gave me the time and freedom I needed during the process. Sewins allowed me to have versatility in styling and the ease of keeping my scalp clean without removing the style. I alternated between this and crochet braids. Loved the crochet braids! They also gave my husband the opportunity to view me with curly hair instead of the chemical-free, but flat ironed, woman he knew. A few other styles I enjoyed were:
flat twist up-dos, high bun with bangs, rod / straw sets, two strand twists, and anything I could pull off with Marley hair or bulk hair.        

Step 3.
Cut Out The Heat

 

transitionsmagazine.blogspot.comRods and rollers are the best way to elongate your relaxed look. Although they will make you happy now, flat irons and pressing combs will be the death of your future natural tresses.  Not only are the first few months of transitioning some of the most critical, they can be the most damaging. Try to fight your urges to flat iron or press your hair to blend your two textures. (Especially your edges and that "kitchen".) Take the time to care for your new growth, change any products or daily routines that may be or are potentially dangerous to your hair and/or scalp. More transitioners succumb to more damage in the beginning of their phases due to the urge to want to use heat to treat the unknown.
For my curlies and transitioners in the south, let us not underestimate the summer heat (or spring for that matter). The sun can oxidize the protein in your hair, so be sure to use UV protectants and protein treatments before styling.  Before you turn on those flat irons, remember that there is no cure for heat damage, you can only treat it. It may cause thinning, breakage, and even you having to completely cut it off.
 

Step 4.
Moisturize! Moisturize! and then Moisturize .... Again!

No comments:

Post a Comment